This position is a key policy advocacy and public affairs leader in the Government Relations- department. Manages complicated, sensitive and rapidly changing public affairs and public advocacy around health policy, national and state health care reform, and government relations initiatives, to promote and defend Kaiser Permanente-s role in the national health care conversation, as well as in the many governmental and health policy issues which arise in today-s environment. Is highly visible both externally and internally and works directly and closely with the highest levels of senior management, and partners across every major part of the organization, to support work in the health policy arena, and to shape and integrate public advocacy. Is responsible for proactively integrating public advocacy around health policy and health care reform with various proactive and reactive communications opportunities and challenges Kaiser Permanente faces, to ensure integration and alignment with Kaiser Permanente-s mission, vision, values, brand and reputation. With this responsibility comes accountability for developing strategies to anticipate, create, and respond to public advocacy challenges and opportunities.
- Develop messages, advocacy strategies and tactics that effectively support Kaiser Permanente-s policy positions. Lead the design and execution of a health care policy advocacy plan with national and regional government relations and policy leaders. Ensure that health care policy work is fully integrated and coordinated with all government relations, public affairs, and other proactive communications efforts.
- Serve as senior public advocacy strategist, leader and implementer to ensure the delivery of messages that promote and protect Kaiser Permanente-s position, both internally and externally.
- Lead various advocacy initiatives and build appropriate infrastructure (resources, processes and technology) to advance and support Government Relations priority efforts.
- Manage complicated policy issues, conflicting external interests, internal complexities and organizational realities, media sensitivities, and political dynamics to help guide Kaiser Permanente-s public advocacy strategies around health policy, reform, public affairs and other governmental topics.
- Develop and lead a public affairs process that provides proactive engagement of stakeholders to promote and advance Kaiser Permanente-s positions in ongoing national health care policy discussions. Oversee work to develop and grow grassroots support for Kaiser Permanente-s policy priorities.
- Lead a team of national and regional public affairs practitioners whose mission is to help create and manage appropriate advocacy materials, identify opportunities to promote Kaiser Permanente-s messages, challenges and competition from other stakeholders. This team does not report directly to this position, so leadership must be accomplished through influence.
- Work closely with Communications at the national and regional levels to understand, be conversant with, and incorporate as necessary the various communications initiatives and messages into our larger national reform and health policy agenda.
- Support speakers- bureau and media training programs for key leaders to provide government relations and health policy messages, and to identify and utilize as appropriate the leaders who are identified and trained through this program as representatives of our message and position.
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in communications, public/media relations, public affairs/government relations, and/or health policy for a large, complex organization, at a management level.
- Bachelors- degree in journalism, public relations, communications, political science or related field required.
License, Certification, Registration
- Familiarity with health care policy issues, strong knowledge of legislative and regulatory processes and the entities that affect and influence the industry is required.
- Demonstrated ability to establish strong relationships with news media at the national and local levels.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, plan and manage inter-disciplinary teams and complex policy communications programs.
- Excellent writing, public speaking and presentation skills.
- Experience in communications in the health care field at the national level strongly desired.
- Experience in the congressional or executive branch of the federal government also strongly desired.
Job Number: 728446