The Sr. Global Commodity Manager is responsible for development, integration and, execution of global commodity plans as part of the strategic sourcing process for the Chromatography and Mass Spectrometry Division (CMD) of Thermo Fisher. This position serves as a key sourcing role in various levels of a matrix organization and will provide sourcing strategy and project support at all levels of the organization including; (1) Division category and supplier management, (2) Corporate project and cross division team support and, (3) CMD global site level operations & project support.
Commodity and Category Scope; Electro-Mechanical; Power & Thermal Management, Cable & Interconnect, PCBA and EMS services.
- Primary owner for the supplier relationship and supplier performance. With our stakeholders and partners, and, in accordance with the commodity strategy, drive supplier selection and overall supplier management for the category.
- Drive all supplier activity within the assigned category to deliver best cost, quality and supply chain performance for our products.
- Lead cost reduction initiatives from idea generation, approval and project implementation.
- Lead cross functional commodity teams to; (1) select and implement suppliers, (2) optimize the supply chain from NPI to production and, (3) sustain our products in market with supply chain & product lifecycle management support.
- Lead and manage product transfer, outsourcing or resourcing projects to deliver on cost, quality and schedule requirements.
- Partner with quality and design engineering in managing the qualification of new or alternate suppliers or components that optimize supply risk and costs.
- Partner with NPI and design teams to present commodity strategies, supplier roadmaps & capabilities and best in class supply chain solutions for our products.
- Mitigate supply chain risks and deliver preferred supply base solutions by conducting supplier reviews, providing commodity inputs, and communicating commodity plans to stakeholders.
- Establish commodity competency and pricing expertise. Monitor markets and determine strategies for capturing market benefits as well as mitigating market headwinds.
- Mentor / Manage Commodity Specialists or junior sourcing team members.
- Escalation point for the division to resolve quality and/or material corrective actions to support business objectives including customer service, on-time delivery, inventory turns and cost management.
- Drive and maintain low cost country sourcing and capacity management for the category.
- Drive evaluations, decisions and execution of RFx results for the category.
- Establish, maintain / develop long-term strategic relationships with critical suppliers.
- Conduct formal business reviews with key suppliers.
- Analyze data and publish reports for performance updates, issues and metrics.
- Manage the execution of supply contracts and inventory agreements within the category for the Division.
- Bachelors Degree required (preferably in Business, Finance or Engineering.)
- 10 years Electronics sourcing, commodity category or EMS supplier experience.
- 10 years in Electronics Commodity/Supplier Management (in commodity categories noted.)
- Expert proficiency in Windows (Excel & Access) based office software.
- Demonstrated excellence and proficiency in Spend Analytics and eSourcing technologies, software and ERP systems.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence cross-functional teams in a large matrix and global organizations.
- Strong communication skills, including excellent interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical skills required.
- Strong knowledge of the strategic sourcing process and practical application of the process to sourcing projects and product design requirements.
- Proven leadership ability and problem-solving skills are a must.
- At least 25% global travel.
- Action Orientated - Possesses a high energy level and understands the need for speed and agility in accomplishing tasks within ones area of responsibility.
- Business Acumen - Knowledgeable in current and possible future policies, practices, trends, technology and information affecting the business and organization.
- Customer Focus - Exemplifies dedication to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers.
- Negotiating - Understands completely the dynamics of negotiation with the ultimate goal of achieving the highest value outcome for both parties while being able to recognize when an agreement should not be made.
- Organizational Agility - Can accept and navigate through the complexities of a matrix organization in order to achieve ones goals.
- Problem Solving - Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions and minimizes the impact of emotion and personal interest in decision making.
- Drive for Results - Consistently hits the goals and objectives set while always focusing on driving towards stretch goals