The Comcast NAE team is looking for a software engineer who loves to write code and has a passion for working on highly performing distributed applications that process billions of transactions per day.
You will be responsible for developing software running on Big Data platforms and utilizing data streaming technologies. The system you build will store real time device provisioning data used in advanced advertising, fraud mitigation, and auto authentication.
A successful candidate will be a hands-on developer with an established background in large scale service oriented applications running on hundreds of servers in multiple data centers. You should have strong technical ability, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment.
Write production quality and thoroughly tested code
Design new software applications, and customize and support existing applications
Work on proof-of-concept applications and conduct exploratory experiments with new technology
Build prototypes for new system components
Conduct performance and scalability testing with customized load generating tools
Work with the Quality Assurance team to determine if applications meet technical requirements
Support the rollout of software releases
Diagnose performance issues both in the lab and in production, and propose and implement code improvements
Analyze and resolve complex technical problems, particularly pertaining to Big Data products and applications
Ability to read and interpret standards documents and specifications.
Strong Java skills
Strong experience developing large-scale messaging systems with Kafka
Strong experience in multi-threaded applications and parallel processing, with a strong grasp of concurrency concepts
Experience with Cassandra NoSQL data stores
Experience with high volume batch and streaming data processing technologies such as Spark
Experience developing service oriented architectures on platforms that reliably handle billions of operations per week
Experience in performance tuning and testing
Working knowledge of messaging technologies such as JSON and REST
Good Linux skills, preferably with RedHat/CentOS
Experience with TCP/IP, networking technologies, and protocols, particularly DHCP, TFTP, SNMP, DOCSIS
Additional Desired Experience:
Experience with relational databases such as Oracle and MySQL
Experience troubleshooting, analyzing and diagnosing JVM runtime problems
Knowledge of Cisco Prime Cable Provisioning and Cisco Prime Network Registrar products is highly desirable.
Experience with operational & service visibility tools (e.g. Prometheus & Grafana)
- Bachelors Degree or Equivalent
- Engineering, Computer Science
- Generally requires 5-8 years related experience
- Collaborates with project stakeholders to identify product and technical requirements. Conducts analysis to determine integration needs.
- Designs new software and web applications, supports applications under development, and customizes current applications. Assists with the software update process for existing applications, and roll-outs of software releases.
- Participates in training representatives and operations staff on internally developed software applications.
- Researches, writes and edits documentation and technical requirements,including software designs, evaluation plans, test results, technical manuals and formal recommendations and reports.
- Monitors and evaluates competitive applications and products. Reviews literature, patents and current practices relevant to the solution of assigned projects.
- Provides technical leadership throughout the design process and guidance with regards to practices, procedures and techniques. Serves as a guide and mentor for junior-level Software Development Engineers.
- Works with Quality Assurance team to determine if applications fit specification and technical requirements.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of engineering methodologies, concepts,skills, and their application in the area of specified engineering specialty.
- Displays in-depth knowledge of, and ability to apply, process design and redesign skills. Presents and defends architectural, design, and technical choices to internal audiences.
- Displays knowledge of, and ability to apply, project management skills.
- Consistent exercise of independent judgment and discretion in matters of significance.
- Regular, consistent and punctual attendance. Must be able to work nights and weekends, variable schedule(s) as necessary.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Employees at all levels are expect to:
- Understand our Operating Principles; make them the guidelines for how you do your job-Own the customer experience-think and act in ways that put our customers first, give them seamless digital options at every touchpoint,and make them promoters of our products and services
- Know your stuff-be enthusiastic learners, users and advocates of our game-changing technology, products and services, especially our digital tools and experiences
- Win as a team-make big things happen by working together and being open to new ideas
- Be an active part of the Net Promoter System-a way of working that brings more employee and customer feedback into the company-by joining huddles, making call backs and helping us elevate opportunities to do better for our customers
- Drive results and growth
- Respect and promote inclusion and diversity
- Do what's right for each other, our customers, investors and our communities